Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Foreclosure Pets and Abandonment

Here is a great blog post about the influx of pets being given up due to the foreclosure crisis we're currently in.

I know very little about most of the cats that come to the shelter. But I know every one of them must be confused and scared and feel abandoned, and then to be poked and prodded and shoved into a cold cage in a bright room with other shrieking cats and squealy kids and slamming doors and barking dogs right outside. I see the ones who come in during my shift, and I try to visit them before I leave. They almost always are hidden back in the corner, behind their litter box and curtain, but I can't tell you how many times I've poked my head in and gotten a purr in return! I pet and coo, and if they seem receptive, I pull them out and sit with them in my lap. It is one of the most rewarding things, to sit with and see a nervous cat open up to you and soak up all the loving. I feel like that is my real purpose there, to provide a little emotional therapy to those most in need. Sure the kittens are cute and playful and fun, but everyone knows that. It's the older, shyer ones that get overlooked who need to be reassured that it's going to be okay. They've been handed over and left behind by their people, and they have no idea why. But soon, they will find a new family who will love them more than they could even imagine, and I'm going to fill in as best I can in the meantime.

Here's my beautiful shelter cat, Nephthys. We recently celebrated her second gotcha day on October 22.

Nikon 270
Nephthys says, "Please recycle. Kitties too!"

3 comments:

  1. "It is one of the most rewarding things, to sit with and see a nervous cat open up to you and soak up all the loving." You are so right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your second gottcha day, Nephthys! (Does you sitting in that crate make you the Green Goddess.... ha, ha, ha... I crack myself up!)

    I'll support that statement as well. I was over the moon when Peggy Sue finally sat on me and then laid down on me!! Although... now she's insatiable!!! Better that than shy, I guess!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cat, and lovely post. I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

    ReplyDelete